Whew! That massage was so relaxing. The whispering sound of a flowing river in the
background was so dreamy that it almost made you fall asleep; the subtle smells of lavender or
other essential oils wafted through your nose and sent you to a magical, mystical place. The
nagging tension in your neck, the stress that had morphed into a firm knot in your back, the dull
aches and sharp pains of everyday life seemed to willingly melt away with every touch – and
now all you can contemplate is,
“How can I make this feeling last?”
You’re not the only one. The worst feeling ever is to walk out of a deep state of inner peace and
relaxation, only to be so rudely revisited by the exact same pain and stress that just left your
body in the massage room. Luckily, there are some very real steps you can take to ensure that
glow doesn’t fade away…at least not anytime soon.
- Play some soft, gentle music on your way home - just don’t fall asleep while you’re
- Schedule an entire “me” day – get your hair done, schedule a manicure or something
- Wear clothes that are comfy afterwards. Your body will thank you for wearing those
- Stretch a bit once you’re done. Your muscles were just manipulated, and they’ll likely
- Drink plenty of water. Jim Memory, a massage therapist, explained for Women’s Health
– so make sure you stay hydrated.
- Avoid tuning into anything politics related. That’s a sure-fire way to raise your blood
- Don’t eat anything too heavy directly afterwards – try to keep it light so that you don’t feel
- Skip the caffeine, as drinking coffee right after a massage can actually tense the
which can make you lost fluid when your body most needs it.
- Try not to throw yourself immediately into work or a heavy workout. If you had to
to decompress and ground yourself before jumping right in.
Of course, you may still experience some aches and tenderness afterwards as your body is
adjusting to the effects of the massage – but implementing the above tips should greatly help
your mind and body relish in the glow of complete relaxation.
Key Takeaway: Keep Your Post-Massage Glow with Proactive Self-Care
It’s not just the massage itself that helps maximize long-term wellness. It’s a collaborative team
effort with both your massage therapist and you - a combination of both massage and
maintenance, that creates a beautifully intricate, ongoing, harmonious balance. In other words,
the proactive steps you take before and after receiving that glorious massage can ensure that
you stay feeling rejuvenated and empowered – for the rest of the day (and beyond!).
Bodies in Balance is an exceptional massage therapy practice based in Flagstaff, AZ,
that aims to help clients relieve pain, improve athletic performance, and reduce stress
with high-quality therapeutic bodywork and outstanding customer service. To schedule
your next much-needed massage, call us today at 928-853-5765. With therapists who
have years of experience - and with an emphasis placed on personalized wellness plans -
you’ll have no problem moving forward with a massage therapy regime that will uplift
your mind, body and spirit to new heights.